The archaeological site of Tamassos is located in the village of Politiko, about 20km southwest of Nicosia. Here there are two royal tombs dating back to the 6th century BC. The tombs are accessible with a staircase, which leads into a small chamber first and then into the burial chamber. Tree trunk patterns have been carved into the roofs of these chambers. Outside the tombs, some column fragments are displayed in the site under a wooden frame. Near Politiko there is the Agios Nikolaos Greek Orthodox church and next to it a Russian Orthodox church whose construction was completed in 2017.
Page viewed 1119 times since 03.05.17
©Copyright Alfred Molon