The St Hilarion castle lies in the coastal mountain range on a hilltop overlooking Kyrenia, a few km southwest of Kyrenia. It's easily accessible via a small mountain road. Originally a monastery built in the 10th century, starting from the 11th century it was converted by the Byzantines into a castle due to its strategic position. The castle consists of three sections, a lower one, a middle one with a Byzantine chapel and an upper one reserved for the nobility. The castle is nowadays in ruins, but some parts of it are well preserved.
Page viewed 1037 times since 27.03.17
©Copyright Alfred Molon