The Frauenkirche (Church of Our Lady) is a Lutheran church in Dresden and one of the highlights of the city. It was built on the site of a former romanesque 11th century church between 1726 and 1743 in baroque style on a design by the architect George Bähr. Destroyed in the firebombing of Dresden during World War II, it was reconstructed between 1992 and 2005, largely using original materials and construction techniques.
The Frauenkirche has a characteristic bell shape and is built entirely out of sandstone. It has a size of 50m (east to west) x 42m (north to south) and its maximum height is 91m. The total weight is 12000 tons. The Frauenkirche has the largest stone dome north of the Alps (24m high with a diameter of 26m).
Page viewed 13168 times since 13.07.12
©Copyright Alfred Molon