The Dresden castle (Residenzschloss) is located along the Elbe river in centre of the historic core of Dresden. It has been the residence initially of the electors (1547-1806) and subsequently of the kings (1806-1918) of Saxony. It was originally built in Romanesque style around 1200 AD. After a major fire in 1701 the castle was rebuilt in the 18th century in baroque style. More construction took place at the beginning of the 20th century in Neo-renaissance style. Following the destruction in World War II, the castle was restored in the 1960s. Nowadays the inner court is covered by a glass roof and the castle hosts a number of museums: the historic Green Vault and the new Green Vault, the coin cabinet, the collection of prints, drawings and photographs and the Turkish chamber.
Page viewed 11950 times since 13.07.12
©Copyright Alfred Molon