St. Michael's golden-domed monastery is a monastery located on the west bank of the Dnepr river, north of the Maidan square. The monastery was originally built in the 11th century. It was destroyed by the Mongols in 1240 and later rebuilt at the end of the 15th century. In 1934 it was demolished by the Soviet authorities. After Ukrainian independence it was rebuilt between 1997 and 1998. Nowadays it is the headquarters of the Orthodox Church of Ukraine.
Page viewed 202 times since 15.11.21
©Copyright Alfred Molon