The castle of Sao Jorge overlooks central Lisbon from a hill to the east of the Baixa area. Formerly a Moorish fortress, it was conquered by King Afonso Henriques with the help of northern-European crusaders in 1147 during the second crusade. Following the conquest the castle became the residence of the Portuguese kings until 1511, when a larger palace was set up on Comercio square. The castle was damaged during the earthquake of 1755 and restaurated under Salazar in 1938.
Page viewed 26815 times since 26.07.10
©Copyright Alfred Molon