Before World War II Nalewki was a large, predominantly Jewish quarter in Warsaw. With 450000 inhabitants this was the second largest Jewish community worldwide after the one in New York. In 1940 the occupying Germans forces converted Nalewki into the Jewish Ghetto and until 1942 300000 people were sent to concentration camps, while another 100000 died in the ghetto. After the Ghetto uprising in 1943 the national socialists completely destroyed Nalewki. Nowadays the former Jewish ghetto is a residential area for the working class.
Page viewed 40650 times since 03.08.2006
©Copyright Alfred Molon