The historic core of Palermo is located around Vittorio Emanuele street. The major touristic highlights of Palermo (Romanesque, Gothic and Baroque churches, palaces and buildings) are located here. Quattro Canti, officially known as Piazza Vigliena, is a baroque square with four richly decorated building facades facing each other. It was set up between 1608 and 1620 by Giulio Lasso at the intersection of Via Maqueda and Corso Vittorio Emanuele. Near Quattro Canti, along Via Maqueda lies Piazza Pretoria where the baroque Pretoria fountain is located. Teatro Massimo is a neoclassical opera house located in Verdi square, the biggest in Italy, and was opened in 1897.
Page viewed 12876 times since 11.03.13
©Copyright Alfred Molon