The old town of Dubrovnik is surrounded by a 2km long wall and is essentially a big pedestrian area. It's small enough to be completely explored in a day or two at most. The harbour area is guarded by two forts, the St John and Revelin fortresses. The 1667 earthquake destroyed the entire city, only leaving two Renessaince-era buildings intact, the Sponza palace and the Rector's palace. All buldings in the city are built in white/grey stone and red roof tiles, except for the churches which have grey roofs. All over the old town there are souvenir shops, cafes and restaurants. Cars have to be left outside, as there are no car parkings within the city walls.
Page viewed 4185 times since 22.04.16
©Copyright Alfred Molon