The Emin (or Imin) Minaret lies a few km east of the city of Turpan, near the ancient Uighur capital of Gaochang along the ancient Silk Road. Construction of the minaret started in 1777 during the reign of Turpan's ruler, Emin Khoja (or Goja), and was completed in 1778 by his son, Suleman, hence the name Su Gong Ta. The minaret was built with sun-dried bricks with a pre-Safavid Iranian or Afghani design.
Page viewed 22327 times since 04.12.2006
©Copyright Alfred Molon