Wat Yai Chai Mongkol was built in 1357 by king Uthong for a group of Buddhist monks who had studied and been ordained in Sri Lanka. The temple was destroyed in 1767 by the Burmese and remained unused until 1957 when a group of monks started restoring it. The temple contains a huge statue of a reclining Buddha.
Page viewed 19828 times since 16.07.2009
©Copyright Alfred Molon