Wat Phra Si Sanphet lies within the former royal palace grounds and was the most magnificent of the Ayutthaya temples. Built in 1491 it was expanded over the centuries. The temple was only used for religious ceremonies and had no quarter for monks. In 1767 the temple was destroyed by the Burmese who set it on fire to retrieve the gold.
Page viewed 20665 times since 16.07.2009
©Copyright Alfred Molon