A selection of pictures of Amarapura (the U Bein Bridge and the Shwekyet Kya pagoda). Amarapura was founded as a royal capital by King Bodawpaya in 1782 and was such until 1823 and then again between 1837 and 1857. Nowadays not much is left of Amarapura - all that remains are the four pagodas which mark the four corners of the city walls, the watch tower and the treasury building. One of the main sights in Amarapura is the 1.2km long U Bein bridge, built over the Taungthaman lake by U Bein, the city's major, in 1782.
Page viewed 49423 times since 03.08.2006
©Copyright Alfred Molon