Kinkaku-ji (also known as Temple of the Golden Pavilion) is a Zen Buddhist temple in Kyoto. It is famous for its golden central pavilion which is surrounded by a pond and is very photogenic. The original Kinkaku-ji was built in 1397 and was destroyed three times by fire over the course of its history, the last time in 1950. The present structure dates from 1955 and was restored in 1984, when the golden coating was replaced. The temple is surrounded by a beautiful park.
Page viewed 17593 times since 19.10.2009
©Copyright Alfred Molon