The Peace Memorial Park, completed in 1854, was previously an urban district called Nakajima, the political, administrative, and commercial heart of Hiroshima before the nuclear explosion. On Aug. 6th, 1945 the atomic bomb exploded directly above this area, flattening the entire district to the ground. In 1949 it was decided that the entire Nakajima District would be devoted to peace memorial facilities. The park, designed by the Tokyo University professor Kenzo Tange, was opened in 1954 and covers an area of 122100 sq. metres. It contains a museum and several monuments and memorials. The park has been a a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1996.
Page viewed 40451 times since 27.07.2008
©Copyright Alfred Molon