What is left of the old colonial town of Batavia (as Jakarta was called during the colonial period) is located around Taman Fatahillah square and is referred to as Kota. The Stadhuis (Dutch townhall), built in 1627, was the seat of the governor general of the Dutch East Indies company. Nowadays the Stadhuis hosts the Jakarta history museum. About 10 minutes north of Taman Fatahillah square lies the old harbour of Sunda Kelapa, where colourful schooner sailing boats are anchored.
Page viewed 10686 times since 03.11.12
©Copyright Alfred Molon