Tiryns is a Mycenaean archaeological site in the Peloponnese lying a few km to the north of Nafplion. The earliest human settlements in Tiryns go back to the Neolithic period (about 5000 BC). Construction of the fortifications took place between the 14th - 13th century BC. The Cyclopaean walls surrounding the citadel and the palace have a total perimeter of 750m and a width ranging from 4.50m to 7m. Tiryns went into decline at the end of the Mycenaean period and became deserted by the 2nd century BC. The palace was excavated in 1884-85 by the German archaeologist Heinrich Schliemann. Tyrins has been a UNESCO World Heritage site since 1999.
Page viewed 25818 times since 14.09.2008
©Copyright Alfred Molon