The Sanssouci palace and adjoint park are located in the city of Potsdam, about 2km northwest of the train station. The palace was built between 1745 and 1747 in Baroque Rococo style, as a private residence and summer palace for Frederick the Great, King of Prussia. The palace lies on top of a terraced hill, where a gentle slope leads to a large fountain in a pond. The Sanssouci palace has been in the UNESCO World Heritage list since 1990.
The New Palais lies a few hundred metres to the west of the Sanssouci palace and was built between 1763 and 1769. It is regarded as the most significant Baroque castle in Prussia.
Page viewed 258 times since 25.07.21
©Copyright Alfred Molon