Tbilisi initially developed below the 4th century Narikala fortress on the western bank of the Kura river. Its historic core is about 500m from east to west and 500m from north to south and wsa partly surrounded by city walls. Although the buildings in the historic core have been completely destroyed (and as a consequence almost no medieval era buildings are left), when they were rebuilt, they were erected on the foundations of the old buildings, thereby preserving the medieval street layout. A number of churches are left in the historic part of Tbilisi. This is an area with many tourist shops, hotels, restaurants and cafes. It's the most scenic and touristy part of Tbilisi. Despite the dearth of ancient structures, the area is quite pleasant to walk around and scenic.
Page viewed 1070 times since 29.07.17
©Copyright Alfred Molon