The Bagrati cathedral is located on a hill across the river from the centre of Kutaisi. Completed in 1003 by Bagrat III, it was destroyed by the Ottomans in 1692, who detonated the centre of the church. Restoration efforts were initiated in the 20th century and in 1994 the cathedral was declared a UNESCO world heritage site. Between 2009 and 2012 the cathedral was completely restored, receiving a new roof and becoming usable again as a place of worship. As a consequence of the restoration the cathedral was removed from the UNESCO list in 2017. The interior of the cathedral is void of decorations and frescoes.
Page viewed 1069 times since 10.10.17
©Copyright Alfred Molon