The Ananuri fortress is located along the road from Tbilisi to Kazbegi, 60km north of Tbilisi. It is directly on the road and has an own parking area. From the fortress there are good views of the Zhinvali reservoir, an artificial lake on the Aragvi river. The fortress is surrounded by crenellated walls and offers good view over the river valley.
The oldest parts of the Ananuri fortress date back to the 13th century. The castle was the seat of the dukes of Aragvi and was attacked several times over the centuries. Inside the castle there are two churches. The smaller one, the Church of the Virgin, dates back to the 17th century. The larger one, the Church of the Assumption, was built in 1689 for the son of Duke Bardzem. Inside there is a 17th century last judgement fresco.
How to get to the Ananuri fortress
The easiest way is to drive from Tbilisi to Ananuri, either by taxi or with a rented car.
There are a couple of hotels immediately near the fortress.